Sunday, April 29, 2012

So That's What a Muscle Feels Like...

It doesn't hurt as much as it did yesterday! Yesterday started early, VERY early! At 7a.m. they started sending us off. The course toyed with us as the first 1.5m was downhill. The torture then began as it was mostly uphill for the next several miles. Leslee and I were setting a pretty good pace for us through the 8m mark. We slowed a little through the 10m mark. Those last 3 miles were not enjoyable at all!!! I was amazed at how many people were lined up along the course cheering us on! I was very optomistic through the first 6, but I admit I was nervous and had some doubt sneak in over the next 4 or 5. Like I said those last 3 were not fun. Our muscles began to tighten up, our feet were numb, and our we were having to make our legs move. Once I saw the 11m mark I knew we were gonna finish! AND WE DID!!!!! We crossed the finish line in 3:58:04! It wasn't earth shattering. It wasn't record breaking. But, we FINISHED! When we crossed the line and I put that medal around my neck I broke down and cried like a baby. This was a huge accomplishment for both of us, but for me this was a really big deal in my mind. It helped reenforce what I am truly capable of. Last night as I laid in bed stiff and sore from the day all I could think about was I want to do another one and I wanna do it faster! This is definetly not my last one! Thanks to everyone who encouraged us and cheered us on. This is a big step for me but the journey is far from over. Just be warned, I'm not afraid to pass you and leave you in the dust!

P.S. Who's gonna do it with me next year?!?!

4 comments:

  1. Me and Chad!

    Way to go, you two! :) Chad asked me last night if I would do it next year. I have horrible asthma and have never been able to run, but maybe could work up to it? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslee has exercise induced asthma but used her inhaler before the race and had no issues all morning. I would love to have a "team" of friends next year so we can party and celebrate afterwards!

      Delete
  2. Matt, I did the Country Music 1/2 four years ago for the same reason you & Leslee did. I haven't gone since, primarily because of the last three miles you described...hot, hot, hot, with no shelter but overpasses.

    It really helped me to get into shape. This Sunday Jenny and I are doing the Cincinnati 1/2, hoping the heat doesn't get to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first but it won't be my last. As for doing it again, I wanna do it again and not have the course dominate me. I want those last 3 miles to succumb to my awesomeness!

      Delete